It’s one of the oldest federal institutions as well as the US Congress’s research library. Due to millions of manuscripts, maps, books, photographs, and records, this is actually the world’s largest library collection and is a priceless resource of history. The library operations are handled by the administrative department.
Launched in the Capitol Building at the year 1800, the library facilitated research work conducted by Congress. President John Adams declared the building and also the initial collections, worth $5000, consisted of law books sourced from England.
The participation of Jefferson was invaluable during the years wherein he effectively regulated the surgeries and set in many important procedures in place the library houghton. The first collection was destroyed in the year 1814 if the Capitol Building was ruined as well as the British soldiers set it on fire.
Thomas Jefferson donated his private collection of books he had accumulated over a span of 50 years on various topics like literature, science, and philosophy. This collection included a number of foreign language books. He had been paid over $20,000 to get a collection of over 6,450 books.
Later, Charles Coffin Jewett (Librarian of the Smithsonian Institution) and Joseph Henry (Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution) proposed two different strategies for the growth of this library. Joseph was successful in dismissing Charles and transferred the prized collection of over 40,000 volumes from Smithsonian Institution to the Library of Congress.
From the year 1864, Ainsworth Rand Spofford took over as the librarian and considered in the doctrine of Jefferson which dealt with the universality notion and took efforts to bring in various collections of books from all subjects.
Later, Spofford made it compulsory for the applicants of the US copyrights to send two copies of their work to the library. Shortly, there was room as the library was totally flooded with maps, prints, music, books, and photos among other wealthy collections due to which a new building was constructed in Italian Renaissance design and was called the Thomas Jefferson Building.